Monday, October 21, 2013

Amana Elementary is an Amazing School!


I know that the title of this blog is North Bend Art, but I want to talk about another part of my job that is very important to me...  I am blessed to be working in two schools.  I teach at North Bend 4 days a weeks and I have been there for four years. On Fridays, I teach in Amana and I have been there for 15 (!) years.   I say that I am blessed because both schools are very important to me.

18 years ago, when I graduated from college, I dreamed of teaching in a school like North Bend.  I have a beautiful art room and great kids.  North Bend is my dream job.

In Amana, my room is not as nice (I was moved out of my amazing room when we moved the Middle School to a different building, that is a whole different story...).  I am only there once a week, so it feels like I am always trying to  catch up.  I don't get to see the kids as often, so I feel like I am missing out on really getting to know them.  With all that being said, Amana is like coming home. I can't imagine not being a part of that school.

A few weeks ago Mrs. Fox, our librarian in Amana, approached me about International Dot Day and explained some of the activities she was doing with the kids.  She asked if I would be able to squeeze in a dot painting for all of the kids to do.  I had all of the students, kindergarten to 5th grade, create a small dot painting.  They could choose the subject (something they are used to doing in my art classes).  At the end of the day I turned all of the paintings over to Mrs. Fox.

When I arrived at school the following Friday, Mrs. Fox had done something I didn't expect to see.  She had coordinated with all of the classroom teachers on the dot project.  Every single dot painting was mounted on colorful paper and hanging up with a written explanation of what the picture was about and what the student wanted people to know.

It was an amazing feeling to see the whole school community come together creatively.  It is wonderful to feel understood as an artist and see the classroom teachers take time out of their schedules to allow the students to explain about their art and display every student's work!




Look out teachers at North Bend and Amana! I never thought to ask for help having students write about their art work....  This could become a regular thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment