Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Wish.....

I was talking with a parent last week about her children.  I said that her son made my day when he walked into the art room saying to himself, "I love art, I love art..."  He was excited to be there. 
The parent smiled at my words, but started to tell me that her neither of her kids were very good at art. 

Her kids are some of my best students! They almost always have a creative story to go with their work.  Their stories/work reflect their interests and they enjoy the process of making something.  They embrace the materials and they try (without anyone judging them) the techniques I introduce. 

I wish that we could forget about the end product in the art room and think about the process of making art.  I truly believe that is where the value of art education lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment